Mattel's Barbie Community

See the Winning Prototype for the 2020 Barbie® Signature Doll Design Showdown!

By Allen Voivod

Barbie® fans, you made your voices heard! It's been a compelling week, watching the vote tallies as they steadily rose into the thousands. But only one prototype could win this final round of the 2020 Barbie® Signature Doll Design Showdown. Are you ready to find out which one took the prize? Here we go…

GTJ97_C_2021_048 (1).jpg

What happens next? The Barbie® Signature team will get to work finalizing all the design specifications for the doll and its packaging, and prepare it for a four-week pre-order period to be announced in 2021.

Please note: Only Barbie® Signature Platinum and Gold Status members will be able to purchase the final doll. (Not a member yet? Learn more and join now!)

For your future reference, we'll keep the sections below titled What Is the Doll Design Showdown? and How to Vote for in the Doll Design Showdown here for you to review, as they were written during the voting rounds. And keep an eye on your email to be notified about production updates and pre-sale dates for the winning doll! (Make sure you're getting our emails by checking your email preferences. If you haven't signed up for our emails yet, just click here to get our email newsletter.)

What Is the Doll Design Showdown?

Barbie® Signature will manufacture and offer the Doll Design Showdown winning doll, chosen from pre-selected designs and prototypes by Barbie® fans. Anyone can participate, but we will only offer this doll for sale to Barbie® Signature Platinum and Gold Status members.

We will conduct two polls, each lasting one week, in which anyone may vote for their preference of the offered choices. You may vote only once per poll. Be sure to vote before each poll closes!

When the final round of voting has been concluded, the winning choices will be used to manufacture the doll. Placing your votes is NOT a commitment to purchase the resulting doll, and voting in the polls is not required to purchase the resulting doll (but you must be a Barbie® Signature Platinum or Gold Status member to purchase the doll).

At a later date, we will offer the winning Doll Design Showdown doll to Barbie® Signature Platinum and Gold Status members. Orders will be taken for approximately 4 weeks, and we will produce enough quantities to match the number of orders we receive – every Platinum and Gold Status members will have the opportunity to order and receive one. This means the item is made-to-order; made-to-order items may not reach you for approximately one (1) year after placing your order. Further details will be available when the doll is offered.

Additionally, a minimum of 1500 pre-orders are required for the winning doll to go into production. If the minimum pre-order threshold is not met, the doll will not go into production, and all pre-orders will be refunded.

How to Vote in the Doll Design Showdown

1. Review the calendar above to see when voting opens and closes for the two phases.

2. Membership is not required to vote. Simply click the “Vote Now” link above to be taken to the survey.

3. On the survey page, read the instructions, then place your vote. NOTE: You can only vote once per phase, and once cast, your vote cannot be changed – so consider carefully before placing your vote!

4. Check in at Barbie® Signature after the polling phases end to see how the voting turned out, and don’t miss your chance to be a part of a new Barbie® creation!

Please note: The dolls, fashions, and accessories depicted in the above images are design concepts. Final production design, colors, and textures may vary slightly.

BarbieSignatureAdmin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

NELLYONEDREAM

Posted

I wanted the Barbie doll. But I will buy him, because I love fantasy dolls and I have some handsome Ken dolls. I don't have problems with Ken, but I know there are people that don't like it, so I hope he reachs the 1500 orders.

venusgoddess

Posted

I wish they have kept his hair dark (as in the prototype ) Designers need to be more creative and talented, like the used to be. However I will purchase him because I love when Barbie collectors do a fantansy  doll. I will purchase him I would love to add him to my collection , and I would love to have him 

-pnw.doll

Posted (edited)

I'm excited for this doll, I think we've only had the playline merman Ken before! While I think they could have done a little more with his design, I love the new face mould and I want to show Ken some love and show Mattel that there is interest in collector level Ken dolls, he gets ignored too often. ❤️

Edited by -pnw.doll
  • Like 3
venusgoddess

Posted

all the designs were beautiful,  I think they should have just did a whole under water world fantasy series  with what they had, that would have been great and  creative 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, venusgoddess said:

all the designs were beautiful,  I think they should have just did a whole under water world fantasy series  with what they had, that would have been great and  creative 

Agreed I feel like all 4 of them would of sold so well!!

• Like 2

Happy that a Ken doll won.  The doll has a really handsome face mold.  I loved the look of the concept art with the darker complexion and hair.  I wish the prototype looked more like it.  I would have loved a non-pink tail color as well.

• Like 1

I see my guy won!  I will have to agree with some of the other comments that they could have refined the design more on the actual doll shown in picture.   I, also, would have preferred the hair to be dark like the original prototype drawing.  It added more allure.   I will await the preorder notification to make my decision.  Hopefully, they will give us a photo of the finished product to help with the decision on whether or not to order him.  Thanks, Barbie!

legalfemme73@aol.com

Posted

So not happy that the Ken has light hair. I believe that the dark haired version would have really stood out in my collection. I agree that all four dolls would have made a beautiful set as well but the prototype I voted for does not match this Ken. Going to pass on this one sadly....

It's about time Ken won!! LOL.  I think he looks great and I can't wait to get one!

• Like 1

I wasn't able to edit my previous post.  I wished his tail had been golden like in the sketch instead of pink.  Pink is for girls!  Barbie please reconsider!

• Thanks 1
jody.dickson

Posted

I don’t want to be negative, and I certainly don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade.  If you like the Merman and the other three Mermaids that were presented, I’m happy for you!  I didn’t like any of them and didn’t even participate in the process (unlike last showdown).  In my opinion, the designers at Mattel are lacking creative ingenuity, and the brand is lacking quality—period!  Who are these designers?  I guarantee that 99% of Barbie lovers/collectors could have done a better job.  It’s very sad to see this decline as I played with Barbies in the early 70s through 80s, and became a collector in 1996.  One happy note for me personally, if I never find a new Barbie or Ken that is worthy of buying in the future, I still have plenty on my wishlist to collect from the past.  I don’t think the Merman was a bad idea, but he could have been spectacular, especially with a Mermaid in a gift set.  The Barbie and Ken collector line should always be spectacular, but especially when designing a special voting showdown where the input is coming from the very people who should love the outcome the most!

MISSPREPPIE

Posted

9 hours ago, NELLYONEDREAM said:

I wanted the Barbie doll. But I will buy him, because I love fantasy dolls and I have some handsome Ken dolls. I don't have problems with Ken, but I know there are people that don't like it, so I hope he reachs the 1500 orders.

I will not buy it, I was in favor of the Barbie doll, this Ken doll looks very feminine, I just don’t like the look at all.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
MISSPREPPIE

Posted

Just now, MISSPREPPIE said:

I will not buy it, I was in favor of the Barbie doll, this Ken doll looks very feminine, I just don’t like the look at all.  

• Like 1

Hey Mattel I just want both together or 4 beautiful different mermaids....I still not happy who is idea let people voting to win. That’s not cool because lost what people loved

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, JOSHY1988 said:

Hey Mattel I just want both together or 4 beautiful different mermaids....I still not happy who is idea let people voting to win. That’s not cool because lost what people loved

mattel .. please 😭

• Like 1
jaderachelle

Posted

Please release the 2nd place mermaid doll sometime in the future. I really loved the whole look, especially the fins! The main things I loved about her was the face mold, which was very fitting for the mermaid look, and color scheme.

• Like 4
btr21

Posted (edited)

It was so hard to decide between Ken and Barbie. I would prefer they made a gift set of both of them. I'm happy he won though. We need more mermen.

Edited by btr21
  • Like 2

I’m so happy he won!!! I’m beyond ready to preorder him! 🤩 wish we could get both, but definitely want him!!! 💚

The designs have been awful lately. 

What happened to the high quality fashion dolls, such as Bob Mackie, Vera Wang and some other designers. 

Why would I want to buy a man doll wearing pink? Get back to the origins of Barbie Dolls. 

• Like 4