Mattel's Barbie Community

The BMR1959™ Collection Returns With Four Bold New Styles!

By Allen Voivod

They were an incredible hit when they debuted last year, a series of Barbie® dolls unlike any that fans of the brand had previously seen! The BMR1959™ Collection showcases how current trends influence the brand, and for 2020, a whole new set of bold designs has arrived in the online shop!

We asked Barbie® Signature Lead Designer Carlyle Nuera to tell us more about these latest additions. "Logo play is a tenet of the BMR1959 line, so in wave 2, I introduced the rainbow BMR1959 logo which uses every color in the palette," Carlyle says. "I also wanted to continue to play with fabrication. In the first wave, I used clear vinyl as a bomber jacket but in wave 2, I used vinyl again but as an inset on a windbreaker and on thigh-high boots. Color-blocking is also present in wave 2, but in a new way with mixed plaid pants."

So, what else is new with this second wave? "There’s two new developments: a new Petite Made-to-Move body and a new Ken face sculpt!" Carlyle reveals. "I know Barbie collectors have been wanting a Petite Made-To-Move body for a long time, and I’m so happy to finally deliver that. Now that that body exists, we can also use it in the design of future dolls. And the new Ken face sculpt features full lips and dimples! I named him the ‘Tate’ sculpt; Tate is my middle name. There are also collector favorite sculpts in this wave: Claudette, Midge/Diva, and Tango, done in new ways."

Let's take a look individually at each of the designs that celebrate Barbie® doll's fashion heritage in new, unique, and surprising ways…

First up, our BMR1959™ Barbie® Doll with the petite doll body wears a boxy houndstooth blazer over a neon co-ord set with a patent leather look. Her lilac hair is styled in bantu knots accented with baby hairs, and her nails are painted to match. Chunky yellow “dad sneakers” and logo door knocker earrings finish her look.

GNC46_W_20_016.jpg

Next, our BMR1959™ Barbie® Doll with the tall doll body sports a color-block parka over her cropped tank and bike shorts. Bold details include green painted fingernails, statement eye liner, and clear vinyl thigh-high boots with a neon block heel. Chunky, '90s-inspired blonde streaks and logo hair clips frame her face.

GNC47_W_20_062.jpg

Our BMR1959™ Barbie® Doll with the original doll body wears plaid color block jogger pants, a cropped tank, and a mesh jersey top with a rainbow logo graphic. Platform combat boots, rope twist pigtails, and a red bucket hat with allover logo print finish the look.

GNC48_W_20_116.jpg

And last but not least, our BMR1959™ Ken® Doll pairs a black-and-white color-block hoodie with yellow logo tape track pants and white trainers. Bold accessories include silvery earrings, a hip bag with a rainbow logo graphic, and a translucent visor worn in his wavy red hair.

GNC49_W_20_173.jpg

All four of these collectible fashion dolls are fully articulated and come with a special BMR1959™ logo doll stand for display. The specially designed, streetwear-inspired shoebox packaging is FSC®-certified and made from materials that have been responsibly sourced.

We also asked Carlyle what people thought of the first wave of dolls, and what his ambitions were for this second set. He told us, "The most rewarding feedback I received has been people feeling seen and represented by BMR1959, whether it was the skin tone of one of the dolls or the hair texture, but especially by the Ken with full face makeup! So many guys who are into makeup have reached out to me to say how appreciative they are to finally have a Ken that represents them. Some have even dressed up as that Ken or done makeup looks inspired by that Ken. I’m so touched by that! That’s the ultimate gratification for me as a designer. With the second wave of dolls, I hope people have those same kinds of emotions, of feeling seen and represented by things like the bantu knots and baby hairs, the doorknocker name earrings, the red hair and freckles."

All four of the new BMR1959® dolls are now available in the online shop. Express your own style and add the whole crew to your collection today!

BarbieSignatureAdmin
  • Like 5

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Cmarsh25

Posted

Just ordered can't wait! 😆😆😆Well done once again! They look amazing!🤩🤩🤩

Share this comment

ROMONA4BARBIE

Posted

I ordered the petite pinked haired doll :).

Share this comment

Barbieholic1995

Posted

Ordered already. Im so excited!!

Share this comment

venusgoddess

Posted

This collection is not for me. I miss the days of classic barbie  I will pass. 

• Like 1

Share this comment

plasticallyperfect

Posted

I ordered all of them, eagerly anticipating 😀

Share this comment

WILCAT74

Posted

I can't wait to have them delivered to Canada!!!

Share this comment

DuskMirage

Posted

Hello, sorry in advance, I know this isn't the right place to ask this, but does anyone know how I can fix my membership status? I signed up for/bought platinum, but it shows me as pink when I go to my profile and I'm not able to go to the forums. I'm not even able to look at this page sometimes. It shows me as platinum in the store, though. Do I need to e-mail customer service? I couldn't find any other moderator page or faq or anything that was helpful.

Share this comment

evamattel

Posted

I just ordered the entire set! I love Classic Barbie, but these made to move bodies are theeee best! I can’t wait to re-body my 1992 Shani “Asha” by Mattel . I buy dolls for their fashions and accessories I don’t care for any doll, other then “Asha” from the 90’s Shani African American Barbie Collection by Kitty Perkins. The endless possibilities of fashion play and posable bodies have me jumping up and down like a kid in a candy store!. I’m 31 going on 32 but my inner child still gets captivated and excited with Barbie’s every years, new Fashions & Accessories!!!!

A9286BBB-FC95-49F4-9068-A01E3E3C86EC.jpeg

Share this comment

plasticallyperfect

Posted

I love that you made a petite, articulated doll.  I ordered the whole set already.  

• Like 1

Share this comment

I'm going to get the one with the pink jacket and green boots with my next order.

Also, if anyone saw my previous comment - I went through mattel's customer support and they fixed my account 😀

Share this comment