Mattel's Barbie Community

Announcing the Dia de Muertos Collection and 2020 Barbie® Doll!

By Allen Voivod

Last year, the first-ever Dia de Muertos Barbie® Doll captured the imagination of collectors all over the world. It was one of Barbie® Signature's most popular dolls in 2019 – so popular, in fact, that it inspired the start of a new tradition. Today, we're proud to reveal the 2020 edition of the Dia de Muertos Barbie® Doll, second in a new collection!

The 2019 Dia de Muertos Barbie® Doll was a runaway hit – one that even had an encore appearance in the online shop after the first time it sold out! It was so well received that Barbie® Signature decided to acknowledge it as the first in an official collection of dolls to celebrate the two-day holiday.

If you're not familiar with it, Dia de Muertos (Spanish for "Day of the Dead") is celebrated in early November, when families gather to celebrate the lives of their departed loved ones. This colorful and lively event is filled with music, food, sweets, offerings, and flowers. The Barbie® Dia de Muertos series is designed to honor the traditions, symbols, and offerings often seen throughout this time.

On the occasion of the second doll's release and the formalization of the dolls as a collection, we asked Designer Javier Meabe for his thoughts and reactions. "My hope for these dolls is that they're able to bring more awareness to the Dia de Muertos celebration. The Dia de Muertos celebration is very important because it honors and pays respect to family and friends that are no longer with us. It is such a beautiful tradition and I love that Barbie is now honoring the Dia de Muertos holiday. I also know how important representation is in our community, and I wanted little girls to see themselves through this doll. Barbie has always been a doll that celebrates women and dreams, and inspires girls. I am beyond grateful that Barbie is now celebrating traditions and cultures that mean so much to so many people."

This year's Barbie® doll is a vision with her face painted in a captivating calavera design. ("Calavera" is Spanish for "skull," and this evokes the "Calavera Catrina" depictions seen historically in Mexican artwork). Her blush-colored lace dress is embellished with tiny pearlescent details and opens slightly to reveal a second layer embroidered with floral and skeleton accents. Golden highlights in her hair shimmer beneath a crown of skeleton hands holding roses and marigolds. (Marigolds are an especially important flower in this tradition, as their vibrant color and scent are said to help guide spirits to the altars built for them by their loved ones during the holiday.)

"We wanted to make sure that the second Dia de Muertos Barbie was just as special as the first doll," Javier says. When asked about his design process, he says, "Research is always the first thing I do before putting my pencil on paper. So, I looked at new elements that we could introduce to the second doll. Adding new textures, fabrics, flowers, and a new dress silhouette were ways to introduce the new elements to the second doll while still keeping traditional elements that are important to the Dia de Muertos celebration. Traditions like marigolds, skeleton details, and Calaveras makeup were elements that I knew we had to keep but introduce in a new way."

The 2020 Dia de Muertos Barbie® Doll is a Black Label® doll and will retail for $75 in the online shop. There will be a limit of one (1) doll per person when she debuts, so as many people as possible can add her to their collections. (This limit is subject to change at a later date.) Last year's doll sold out quickly, so we hope you get the opportunity to add this year's doll to your collection now!

BarbieSignatureAdmin
  • Like 7

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

GCLASSRSD90

Posted

Got her!!! Yay!!! 😁

Share this comment

DuskMirage

Posted

Yay! I'm so happy that this is going to be a new tradition. The first Dia de Muertos Barbie is the doll that got me back into collecting. 

Share this comment

Dollreader@aol.com

Posted

Thank You I Was able to purchase her, you never sent me an Email!!!

• Like 1

Share this comment

shinycquin

Posted (edited)

Yay! I got her!! Can’t wait til she arrives so I can set her up with all the others 

Edited by shinycquin

Share this comment

shinycquin

Posted

17 minutes ago, Dollreader@aol.com said:

Thank You I Was able to purchase her, you never sent me an Email!!!

Same here. No email. 

Share this comment

Carynn1003

Posted (edited)

Barbie is on the West Coast. The email literally just came through at 12a PST, 3am EST. (Relax guys and gals) lol

I'm so happy I got one!! I love that this will be an annual doll. I hope the next one in the series is a male (maybe with a big hat!), or a browner skin female. Or maybe an older female. Just throwing out some ideas for you, Javi and team. 

2020 DOTD is gorgeous!!! Just as beautiful as 2019 DOTD, but in her own way! And  I like how the 2019 DOTD is on the alter. 

Edited by Carynn1003
:)
  • Like 1

Share this comment

danaguy71

Posted

38 minutes ago, Carynn1003 said:

Barbie is on the West Coast. The email literally just came through at 12a PST, 3am EST. (Relax guys and gals) lol

I'm so happy I got one!! I love that this will be an annual doll. I hope the next one in the series is a male (maybe with a big hat!), or a browner skin female. Or maybe an older female. Just throwing out some ideas for you, Javi and team. 

2020 DOTD is gorgeous!!! Just as beautiful as 2019 DOTD, but in her own way! And  I like how the 2019 DOTD is on the alter. 

Got it too!!  Just happened to wake up........me notification email came at 2:59 and EST

Share this comment

Brecamp

Posted

Yay. Got her ! Was desperate thinking I wasn’t going to and got one from a flipper but cancelled the order lol. I also got $15 off. 

Share this comment

shinycquin

Posted

3 minutes ago, Brecamp said:

Yay. Got her ! Was desperate thinking I wasn’t going to and got one from a flipper but cancelled the order lol. I also got $15 off. 

Yay! That’s awesome! My $30 didn’t work for some reason. But just happy I got her too 

Share this comment

danaguy71

Posted

She doesn't seem to be "selling out" (yet) so fast like the first one........I wonder what is going on.......

Share this comment

Deysiv123

Posted

Just ordered mine. Can't wait to put her beside the first one❤️❤️❤️

Share this comment

shinycquin

Posted

2 hours ago, danaguy71 said:

She doesn't seem to be "selling out" (yet) so fast like the first one........I wonder what is going on.......

Probably everyone bought the Walmart ones that were sold last week. 

Share this comment

DuskMirage

Posted

10 hours ago, shinycquin said:

Yay! That’s awesome! My $30 didn’t work for some reason. But just happy I got her too 

Did you only order the one doll? platinum members need to spend at least $100 to use their quarterly $30 coupon. 

Share this comment

danaguy71

Posted

1 hour ago, shinycquin said:

Probably everyone bought the Walmart ones that were sold last week. 

Target currently has it on line too.........I'm wondering if they produced more of the second one or if there are just less people that want this one.........or both............

Share this comment

shinycquin

Posted

29 minutes ago, DuskMirage said:

Did you only order the one doll? platinum members need to spend at least $100 to use their quarterly $30 coupon. 

I also had the 40th anniversary black Barbie doll in cart. So that was weird that it didn’t. The site was so glitchy last night that I didn’t want to mess with cart so I just paid it anyway 😔

Share this comment

KIMBOLEW

Posted

I am so happy and relieved that I was able to purchase this doll. I am also extremely happy that Barbie Collector placed a limit on her, giving its members a fair opportunity to buy. It appears that she's not selling like the other one, but she will. 

• Like 1

Share this comment

DuskMirage

Posted

9 hours ago, danaguy71 said:

Target currently has it on line too.........I'm wondering if they produced more of the second one or if there are just less people that want this one.........or both............

I think both. In this post they talk about how well the last one sold, so they probably made a lot of this new one. Also, on all the social media I follow where this new one was leaked people said they do not like it as much as the first lol.

Share this comment

danaguy71

Posted

On 9/2/2020 at 11:45 PM, DuskMirage said:

I think both. In this post they talk about how well the last one sold, so they probably made a lot of this new one. Also, on all the social media I follow where this new one was leaked people said they do not like it as much as the first lol.

I agree.  Although now when you try to order her on this site, it says:  PRE-ORDER
AVAILABLE TO SHIP ON OCTOBER 2, 2020

So I wonder if that means they ran out of the initial batch?  I can' find her online at Target now at all..........but maybe I'm searching wrong.  The first one comes up only, but shows sold out............odd..............

Share this comment

danaguy71

Posted

Now it says find at retail........I guess it finally sold out........at least on this website?

Share this comment

judyhudson

Posted

Exactly what does Mattel mean when it shows on barbie club site, "FIND AT RETAIL"  I have never found one of those dolls at retail store, it would be helpful if they at least gave a hint as to where "RETAIL" is. "Just asking, so if anyone has any idea please share.

• Like 1

Share this comment

KIMBOLEW

Posted

judyhudson hello, you're probably going to have to try to buy her on either Amazon or Ebay, Walmart and Target are most likely sold out now. I hope that this is helpful.

Share this comment

danaguy71

Posted

14 hours ago, judyhudson said:

Exactly what does Mattel mean when it shows on barbie club site, "FIND AT RETAIL"  I have never found one of those dolls at retail store, it would be helpful if they at least gave a hint as to where "RETAIL" is. "Just asking, so if anyone has any idea please share.

I think it means that they have sold out on this site, but that they MIGHT be available at Target or Walmart..........but by then they are usually already sold out there too.  I'm just guessing, but I think that is it.  I've noticed that now on some of them, they do have the stores listed underneath, but not always.

Share this comment

KIMBOLEW

Posted

True they do have a listing of retailers, but everyone already knew that they were sold out at Walmart, and possibly Target. I usually go over to Amazon, but I haven't seen anyone trying to sell her there either. 

Share this comment