Mattel's Barbie Community

2019 Doll Design Showdown Winner Available for Pre-Order!

By Allen Voivod

We have a winner in the first-ever Barbie® Signature Doll Design Showdown. Fans all over the world voted for her, but only Platinum and Gold Status members can pre-order her – and only for a limited time! Read on for all the important details. (Not a member? Join now!)

GNH49_C_2021_110 (1).jpg

The pre-order period lasts four weeks, from 8/17 to  9/14. During that time, we must receive pre-orders for at least 1,500 dolls for it to go into production. Pre-order the winning doll now!

Designer Angel Kent and the Barbie® Signature design team created a stunning prototype, and the final design that goes into production will mirror that prototype as closely as possible! There may be minor changes in things like the fabric texture or color used for the fashion, the texture or shade of the hair, specific details of the face paint, and other items. Aside from those potential edits, the doll you voted for is the doll you're going to get, and special packaging is being created for the occasion, too.

One other thing to let you know: The Doll Design Showdown winner is a made-to-order item. As such, it may not reach you for approximately one (1) year after placing your order. If you ever have questions while you're waiting for the doll to be produced, just contact Customer Service.

For now, time is limited, and every pre-order counts. So get to the online shop and place your pre-order today!

Please note: Unfortunately, we're unable to ship this doll to any mailing addresses in Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, or Venezuela.

We've shared the sections below titled What Is the Doll Design Showdown? and How to Vote for in the Doll Design Showdown in previous articles, and we'll leave them here for your future reference. Meanwhile, keep an eye on your email to be notified of updates on pre-orders, as well as news about the next Doll Design Showdown! (Make sure you're getting our emails by checking your email preferences. If you haven't signed up for our emails yet, just click here to get our email newsletter.)

What Is the Doll Design Showdown?

Barbie® Signature will manufacture and offer the Doll Design Showdown winning doll, chosen from pre-selected designs and prototypes by Barbie® fans. Anyone can participate, but we will only offer this doll for sale to Barbie® Signature Platinum and Gold Status members.

We will conduct two polls, each lasting two weeks, in which anyone may vote for their preference of the offered choices. You may vote only once per poll. Be sure to vote before each poll closes! (Learn more about the designer, Angel Kent.)

When the final round of voting has been concluded, the winning choices will be used to manufacture the doll. Placing your votes is NOT a commitment to purchase the resulting doll, and voting in the polls is not required to purchase the resulting doll (but you must be a Barbie® Signature Platinum or Gold Status member to purchase the doll).

In the final quarter of 2019, we will offer the winning Doll Design Showdown doll to Barbie® Signature Platinum and Gold Status members. Orders will be taken for approximately four weeks, and we will produce enough quantities to match the number of orders we receive – every Platinum and Gold Status member will have the opportunity to order and receive one. This means the item is made-to-order; made-to-order items may not reach you for approximately one (1) year after placing your order. Further details will be available when the doll is offered.

Additionally, a minimum of 1,500 pre-orders are required for the winning doll to go into production. If the minimum pre-order threshold is not met, the doll will not go into production, and all pre-orders will be refunded.

How to Vote in the Doll Design Showdown

1. Review the calendar to see when voting opens and closes for the two phases. (NOTE: voting is now closed.)

2. Membership was not required to vote. You would simply click the “Vote Now” link to be taken to the survey. (NOTE: with voting closed, the "Vote Now" link has been removed.)

3. On the survey page, you would read the instructions, then place your vote. (NOTE: You could only vote once per phase, and once cast, your vote couldn't be changed – so you had to consider carefully before placing your vote!)

4. Finally, you would check in at Barbie® Signature a few weeks after the polling phases end to see how the voting turned out. Now, don’t miss your chance to be a part of a new Barbie® creation, and pre-order the winner today!

BarbieSignatureAdmin
  • Like 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

NELLYONEDREAM

Posted

Ordered. Love this doll, she is amazing. Fantasy is my favorite theme.

• Like 1

Share this comment

danaguy71

Posted

I ordered two.......not sure why........just a feeling lol

• Like 1

Share this comment

PAMMINORMAN1973

Posted

Fantasy is my favorite theme and this doll is amazing.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Patty711

Posted

I ordered this doll.  It is beautiful.

• Like 1

Share this comment

danaguy71

Posted

I see it's not "selling out" as of yet.........I wonder if people aren't pre ordering or if they just don't know about it yet.......

• Like 1

Share this comment

SAJULES

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, danaguy71 said:

I see it's not "selling out" as of yet.........I wonder if people aren't pre ordering or if they just don't know about it yet.......

It is not going to "sell out".  It is different from other dolls in that it is a made to order doll.  It won't go into production unless at least 1500 ordered.  It is only available to Gold & Platinum members and I believe everyone that orders in the next four weeks will get a doll unless the minimum number of orders is not met.  

Edited by SAJULES
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

danaguy71

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, SAJULES said:

It is not going to "sell out".  It is different from other dolls in that it is a made to order doll.  It won't go into production unless at least 1500 ordered.  It is only available to Gold & Platinum members and I believe everyone that orders in the next four weeks will get a doll unless the minimum number of orders is not met.  

Right.....but it's supposed to be a "platinum" doll which means, according to the website, less than 5,000 worldwide.  I get that they need a minimum threshold to even put it in production.  That being said, the "platinum" description is a bit vague.  "Less than 5000 world wide"  So how many would they really make if the minimum threshold to even put it into production is met (1500)??  Would they stop there and not make anymore? 

What if this was just a regular "platinum" doll that they were putting out?  How many would they REALLY produce?? 4999??

That makes me wonder further.............how do dolls like Day of the Dead and some of the others that are gold "sell out" so fast when so many more of them are made?   Don't mean to be a pain or anything lol.......it just all seems confusing to me.......  🙂

Edited by danaguy71

Share this comment

NELLYONEDREAM

Posted

7 hours ago, danaguy71 said:

Right.....but it's supposed to be a "platinum" doll which means, according to the website, less than 5,000 worldwide.  I get that they need a minimum threshold to even put it in production.  That being said, the "platinum" description is a bit vague.  "Less than 5000 world wide"  So how many would they really make if the minimum threshold to even put it into production is met (1500)??  Would they stop there and not make anymore? 

What if this was just a regular "platinum" doll that they were putting out?  How many would they REALLY produce?? 4999??

That makes me wonder further.............how do dolls like Day of the Dead and some of the others that are gold "sell out" so fast when so many more of them are made?   Don't mean to be a pain or anything lol.......it just all seems confusing to me.......  🙂

Mattel says that the number of orders will be the number of dolls created. If there are 1678 orders, 1678 dolls will be created.

Share this comment

danaguy71

Posted

5 hours ago, NELLYONEDREAM said:

Mattel says that the number of orders will be the number of dolls created. If there are 1678 orders, 1678 dolls will be created.

I see now, thank you!  Now what's going to suck is having to wait and see if the threshold is met!!  It's nice that it is for gold and platinum members only, but at the same time that may make it harder to meet the threshold to even put her in production..........

Share this comment

DuskMirage

Posted

19 hours ago, danaguy71 said:

I think a lot of people feel like me: I like the doll, but she is too expensive. 

Share this comment

DuskMirage

Posted

If I move after I order her, is it easy to change the delivery address?

Share this comment

Jennfigueroa44

Posted

I order Her Cant Wait For The Wait Lol 

Share this comment

So today is the last day for pre-orders.......I wonder if they will announce tomorrow whether or not the quota was met and if she goes into production.........

Share this comment

8 hours ago, 29546 said:

Well does anyone know if we get her?

Nope  🤕  You would think they would make an announcement...........

Share this comment